Friday, February 26, 2010

Agave

Agave is my secret to the best smoothies. I had heard about it awhile ago and bought some but didn't know what to do with it. So the other day I was trying to figure out how to get my 3 yr old to drink my smoothies. She likes it when I put a lot of honey in but I don't like the taste of honey plus I don't like adding sugar to my smoothie. I put about 1-2 tea agave nectar in my smoothie and I could not believe the difference. It made my smoothie taste like a jamba juice. It just brings a sweetness to the fruit and you couldn't taste the cottage cheese at all. It's the best find.

Agave nectar comes from the agave plant. It comes in a liquid form. I think I found it in the syrup section in winco...don't quote me... it is low on the glycemic index and doesn't spike you blood sugar level and provides sustained energy ( can you tell I am copying the bottle?) You'll never crave a sugary jamba juice again here is my favorite smootie of the day

1 banana
1/2 c cottage cheese (costco)
1 strawberry non fat lite yogurt (costco)
1 orange (costco has these good blood oranges in a bag this week. I loved it)
2 cups frozen berries (costco)
1-2 tea agave nectar

blend until cottage cheese is totally smooth and un-noticeable. After you try it leave me a comment I want to know what you think.

p.s. I'm down another pound!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious and I will definitely try it! Have you figured out the calories by any chance?

    You are doing awesome!!! Don't worry about a little gain here and there - you're just living your life and doing the best you can. You are doing the right thing which is just moving on from the minor setback and getting right back on track! YOU GO GIRL!!! YOU ARE MY INSPIRATION!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so I tried to make my smoothies healthier, I have been adding fresh spinach AND frozen blueberries. If you don't add the blueberries the color is really unappealling, the blueberries make it purple and cover up the spinach color. you can't taste the spinach at all, BUT when I added celery this morning, the kids wanted nothing to do with it....to tell you the truth, I wasn't crazy about it either, but maybe the agave will help.

    ReplyDelete